How can I create a strong password?
As technology evolves, modern businesses have adapted to the use of a wide range of new tools for operational purposes – including desktop computers, laptops, smartphones and tablets.
But despite the undoubted benefits these devices bring, their safe use is reliant on implementing effective security measures that protect company data and prevent hackers and cyber criminals from stealing and exploiting commercially sensitive information.
An essential way of achieving this is by creating strong passwords for use on all company software and hardware, helping to provide a critical first line of defence across all business devices.
Of course, it can be difficult to create reliable passwords without knowing the key rules, so here we offer some simple advice on creating strong sign-in codes and a few top tips on keeping them safe and secure.
Key rules for creating a strong password:
- Passwords should be long and complex, making it much harder for a hacker to guess
- Use at least ten characters and have a combination of letters, numbers and characters
- Always use upper-case and lower-case letters
- Avoid the use of common or familiar ‘dictionary’ words and phrases
- Don’t use words that are related to your business or personal to yourself (street name, etc)
Top tips for protecting your password
- Never write down a password where it can found, seen, stolen and used
- Don’t share your passwords with colleagues unless required to do so
- Try to avoid using the same password for two or more devices
- Be aware of phishing scams that could infiltrate company email addresses
- Make sure to change your password regularly, or at least when prompted to do so
Synium specialise in offering first-class IT security solutions to our clients, all provided alongside our expert business support services.
So from passwords and firewalls to anti-virus software and disaster recovery, we offer a wide range of security options tailored to the needs of your business, available at a fraction of the cost of building an in-house IT department.
To find out more, please contact our friendly customer support team today on 0121 663 0203.
Andy has worked in IT for nearly 30 years. With a degree in Computer Science he progressed to IT Systems management and Network management before joining Synium as the Technical Director in 2010. He is now responsible for the server and network management for many of the Synium clients. He also manages many of the advanced projects for clients.
In his spare time, Andy loves watching his beloved Liverpool – and also enjoys the great outdoors and inspirational technology.